Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands (visa sponsorship) or remote (European time zones, flexible time possible).
WHO WE ARE
Memri as a technical product is an open source project that enables you to take control of your data by pulling it in from everywhere and storing it somewhere you control. Memri comes with various front-ends which you can use to view, edit, browse and search through your data. The indexers (rule-based or machine-learning models) automatically label and create relationships between your data.
We are organized as a values driven cooperative that prioritizes people and our planet over profit. We aim to have a global and positive impact on people’s lives by creating technology that works for people, instead of trying to extract data or money from them.
OUR TECH STACK
We use Rust for the backend, Flutter for Android, desktop and the web, Swift for iOS and Python for external micro-services.
We pick the best tool for the job, without being fanatics about any language or tool we use. We encourage following best practices and aim for improvement, not tech stagnation. We work hard to make things simple.
We are an international company, having people from the Netherlands, Costa Rica, Germany, Russia, France, Armenia, India and Poland, and working from all around the globe :)
The team currently consists of one Rust, one iOS and two Flutter developers. We also have a part-time community manager and tech writer. We also have other open positions for Rust, iOS and DevOps (tell your friends!).
We are looking for a DevOps Engineer to join our team with a focus on hosting, Infrastructure automation and CI/CD optimization. You will be the main person responsible for these tasks, inheriting some of our current GitLab pipelines. We have a self-hosted public GitLab (https://gitlab.memri.io), CI and some artifact building / containerization. We look forward to containerize all of our projects, implement CD and host our product in Kubernetes - more on that below. We have a world-class product, engineering, and data science team, passionate about our mission of helping consumers take back the control of their digital life, by creating simple yet powerful and private solutions.
You don’t have to know all of the technologies, but knowing one of the alternatives in most of the groups is good already (presuming you’d be willing to gradually learn anything else you might need):
- Take a leadership role in developing infrastructure to improve the speed of our organization
- We’re using Docker, but any container runtime experience is welcomed
- We’re using Docker-compose and aiming for Kubernetes, but any container orchestration technology counts
- We’re on Gitlab CI, but any CI experience would be good (Jenkins / Travis / CircleCI / Github Actions)
- Our staging is on DigitalOcean, but your cloud experience would be greatly valued (AWS / Azure / GCP / Heroku)
- Experience with any billing/payment system is a plus (e.g. KillBill)
- Understanding of security principles and hygiene
- Or security groups and firewalls
- Or access controls for services
- Or HTTPS termination and transit encryption
- Or container/instance/cluster hardening
- Or securing data at rest
- Or all of the above!
- General best practices: version control with Git, automation, code reviews
- Be available to apply coding when components do not work together out of the box yet (e.g. internal inter-connection components)
- Be open to communicate with the rest of the team on the choices and processes. Research directions and approaches together in a team, listening and being aware of the other side in a technical problem.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Work on something that puts people first. Instead of selling people’s private data to the highest bidder, you’ll be working on empowering the user to take control of their data
- Opportunity to work in an open-source project and to engage with the community
- Budget for education: conferences, books, courses and other resources to help you grow personally and professionally
- An environment where feedback is valued, asked regularly and acted upon, you can have impact from day 1
- We are a flat organization. Any opinion or approach can be challenged, even if it comes from the CEO, team lead, or any other person around. We have a concept of “deep democracy” where, even if a person is a minority in a vote, they are given space to explain and their opinion is taken into account
- We aim for full transparency, both information and decisions
- As an early organization we offer a competitive salary with a large stake in the future upside of our effort. Our leadership has successfully started and sold previous startups, and although we have chosen an approach that puts our values first, and profit second, we still expect a good future financial outcome as well.
- Possibility for part time work (and/or flexible hours if you need)
- Visa sponsorship if needed